Before a surgical procedure, the patient obviously asks himself many questions. Consultations prior to the intervention are there to better listen to you, to understand your concerns, to reassure you and of course to give you a maximum of information.
The surgeon will give you information:
On a medical plan:
- On the type of anaesthesia . The choice and the type of anaesthesia will be explained again by the anaesthetist during the preoperative consultation of anesthesia. Consultation with the anesthesiologist is recommended and mandatory before surgery. We advise you to take an appointment: Centre Medical du Trocadero: 36 bis rue Nicolo, 75116 Paris / Tel: 01.40.72.28.88
- On the intervention . The process of the intervention will be explained as well as the awakening, the immediate aftermath, the support the pain, the first dressing and the discharge eventually, etc.
- On the bandages and advice after surgery.
- On postoperative consultations . The schedule of consultations to monitor the proper conduct of the postoperative will be defined.
From a practical point of view:
Interventions take place on Friday morning at the clinic of the Trocadero. You will be hospitalized at 07:30 am on an empty stomach. Fasting before a surgical procedure means that you stop eating 6 hours before surgery. As you will be operated in the morning, we recommend that you do not eat from midnight.
- Antiseptic shower with Betadine ® foaming is advocated the night before and the morning of the intervention. Before any surgery in an operating room, the patient is prepared. Preoperative shower is proposed and a blouse for the operating theatre is given.
- The compression stockings to prevent phlebitis will be prescribed by the anesthetist in pre-operative consultation. It is very important to put it on before going to the block.
- The nurse or her assistant will do, just before the intervention, a large shaving of the region of the body that will be operated. A depilatory cream may be preferred if the hair growth is moderate.
- Nail Polish, makeup, dentures, glasses, lenses and jewelry must be removed.
- All your personal belongings must be stored in the closet of the bedroom and the valuables in the safe.
Normally, the surgeon visits his patient before going to the operating room to reassure him, to answer any questions, to make preoperative photographs and some drawings of the intervention.
Finally, be aware that for each intervention-specific preparations will be better explained during the consultation. Indeed, each procedure has its specificity and each patient his own demands. But in practice and in a systematic manner, smoking must be stopped 2 months before the operation, to stop NSAIDs (aspirin) and anti-coagulants, to buy a pair anti-thrombosis stoking and have a consultation with the anesthetist…